Cover image: STRINGER / REUTERS
- The Ukrainian army is engaged in a confrontation ” fierce “ with Russian forces attempting to seize Vouhledar, located 150 kilometers from Bakhmout, in Donetsk Oblast. Both sides have claimed victory, but the city remains contested according to Kyiv.
- A Russian strike on Kostiantynivka (Donetsk) killed at least three civilians on Saturday and injured at least fourteen according to Volodymyr Zelensky. Four residential towers, a hotel, garages and civilian cars were damaged, the regional governor added.
- Moscow, for its part, accused the Ukrainian army of having fourteen dead and twenty-four injured in strike on hospital in Luhansk region. Saturday morning, “Ukrainian Armed Forces purposely hit local hospital building with Himars rocket launchers” in the locality of Novoaïdar, in the Luhansk region, the Russian army said in a press release.
- Three hundred and twenty-one heavy tanks were promised to Ukraine by several Western countries, declared Friday on BFM-TV the ambassador of Ukraine in France, Vadym Omelchenko.
- kyiv and its Western allies are now engaged in negotiations “accelerated” for the delivery of long-range missiles and military aircraft to Ukraine, according to an adviser to the Ukrainian president, Mykhaïlo Podoliak. According to him, the allies “understand how war evolves” and the Ukrainians’ need for planes capable of covering the light armored vehicles promised by the United States and Germany at the beginning of January.
- A new Russian offensive is in preparation for February 24, one year to the day after the invasion by Russia of Ukraine, assured Oleksi Danilov, secretary of the council of defense and national security of Ukraine. According to the Institute for the Study of War, Russia is seeking to “disperse” Ukrainian forces in order to “to create the conditions for a decisive offensive operation”.
Find our live yesterday by clicking on this link.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Decryptions. The first prisoners recruited by Wagner to fight in Ukraine return to civilian life, free
Investigation. Despite the war in Ukraine, Wagner continues to weave his web in Africa
Decryptions. How and when will the tanks promised to kyiv be delivered?
Reportage. In Georgia, Russian deserters put to the test of exile
Decryptions. Ukraine at war with Russian propagandists
Editorial. Facing Russia, the asset of the resilience of the European economy
Portrait. Hélène Carrère d’Encausse, a great connoisseur of Russia “in the middle of the fog”
Narrative. In Moscow, Russians dare to lay flowers for Ukraine: “I’m a coward, but that, at least, I can”
Testimonials. The diary of two Ukrainian sisters: “The Russians would have increased their presence in Ukraine. Everyone is talking about a new attack on kyiv. It makes my blood run cold”
Factual. The answers of the “World” to your most frequently asked questions