- Fighting intensified on Wednesday in eastern and southern Ukraine. The last Ukrainian fighters of Mariupol, in the Donbass, call on the international community to “security guarantees”when the Russian forces intend to seize the entire besieged city where soldiers and civilians are blocked. “We are ready to leave Mariupol with the help of a third party”armed with weapons, “in order to save the people entrusted to our care”said Thursday morning, Sviatoslav Palamar, deputy commander of the Azov regiment.
- The governor of Luhansk said Russian forces now control 80% of the region, which is one of the two regions that make up Donbass in eastern Ukraine. Serhi Haidai said that after taking Kreminna the Russians were now threatening the towns of Rubizhne and Popasna and he urged all residents to evacuate immediately.
- “We will do everything we can to support you and to ensure that Ukraine wins the war”said in kyiv the President of the European Council, Charles Michel, came to meet the President, Volodymyr Zelensky. In particular, he promised that sanctions would soon target Russian oil and gas exports.
- “Today, I can confirm that the attitude of the West has become warmer”greeted, Wednesday on BFM-TV, Volodymyr Zelensky about material assistance to Ukraine “We are awaiting the delivery of armaments, we have provisional dates and we have guarantees”said the Ukrainian president.
- Moscow said on Wednesday that it had succeeded in the first test shot of Sarmatits intercontinental missile. The Pentagon reacted, assuring that the shooting was a test of ” routine “ and did not constitute “not a threat” for the United States or for its allies.
- No evacuation corridor has not been implemented in Ukraine since Saturday, for lack of agreement with the Russians.
- The Russian invasion has already pushed towards Ukraine’s neighboring countries – starting with Poland – more than five million Ukrainiansa record since the Second World War.
- A Ukrainian official reproached, on Wednesday, the International Committee of the Red Cross not to cooperate with his country on the fate of Ukrainian refugees, suspecting him of being ” partner in crime “ of “deportations” to Russia, charges strongly rejected by the ICRC.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Report. How mayors of the Kyiv region resisted the Russian invader
Decryptions. France, an unattractive country for refugees from Ukraine, Syria or Afghanistan
Portrait. In Russia, the old man who painted peace
Decryptions. How do cluster munitions and thermobaric bombs work?
Maintenance. “Every European citizen feels less safe than two months ago”
Grandstand. BBernard Guetta: “By opening up to Ukraine and other countries, the EU is heading for paralysis. It must organize itself to go further and faster towards common objectives”
You can find our live yesterday on this link.
“Why is my question not published? “: how “Le Monde” manages contributions in live follow-ups