Cover image: UKRAINIAN PRESIDENTIAL PRESS SER / via REUTERS
- The death of Evgueni Prigojine was confirmed by the Russian investigation committee according to the conclusions of a genetic expertise. Russian civil aviation confirmed on Wednesday that Yevgeny Prigojine’s name was on the list.
- Ukrainian forces advance “significantly” on the southern front, according to the Institute for the Study of War. According to the American think tank, the Ukrainian army recently carried out “significant new tactical progress” in western Zaporizhia Oblast, in Robotyne, now appearing “within striking range of the next set of Russian defensive positions”. The Ukrainians would have broken through the most difficult Russian defense line in the area and would now be able to advance more quickly.
- One hundred thousand Russian soldiers have been deployed in the Kupiansk-Lyman sector, according to the Ukrainian army. Their bombardments are intensifying, said Sunday the press secretary of the group of eastern forces of the Ukrainian army, Illia Yevlach.
- Ian Petrovski, the leader of the Roussitch militia arrested in Finland, was about to go to France. According to the Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat, the militiaman had managed to enter Finnish territory on July 19 from Russia under the false name of Voislav Torden, and intended to settle there with his wife and their three children. He was arrested the following day in Helsinki as he and his family prepared to travel to France.
- Ukraine announces that a second cargo ship has left the port of Odessa despite the end of the grain agreement. This cargo blocked in the port of Odessa left through a temporary corridor set up after the failure of the renewal of the Black Sea grain agreement.
- A Russian fighter jet repelled an American drone in the Black Sea. The Russian Su-30 took off to prevent an American MQ-9 Reaper drone from crossing its Black Sea border.
- Romania will participate in the training of Ukrainian pilots in the F-16. In an interview at FinancialTimesMarcel Ciolacu, the Romanian Prime Minister, also explains that Romania will double the capacity of its main port on the Black Sea and its navigation routes on the Danube within two months to help Ukraine ship its cereals outside within reach of Russia.
- Volodymyr Zelensky affirms that his country will agree with the United States to similar security guarantees to those from which Israel benefits − valid regardless of the party in power −, in a long interview with theUkraiska Pravda Ukrainian published on Sunday evening. The Ukrainian president is however aware that such an agreement must be ratified in Congress. He also hopes for an invitation to join NATO and announces his intention to introduce a bill equating corruption with high treason in wartime.
Find our live from August 27 by clicking on this link.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Facts. The death of Yevgueni Prigojine confirmed by the Russian investigation committee after the conclusions of a genetic expertise
Facts. Russia: Lionel Jospin accuses Nicolas Sarkozy of “serving the interests of an aggressor country”
Chat. Benoît Vitkine: “The message Putin is sending after Prigojine’s death is clear and will be well understood: silence in the ranks”
Grandstand. “Wagner’s evolution and Prigojine’s career are the logical emanation of Russian military failures in Ukraine”
Reporting. Ukraine celebrates its spirit of resistance in the face of a long-lasting war
Analysis. In Ukraine, the late transformation of the defense industry
Obituary. The Thousand Lives of Yevgeny Prigozhin
Cards. Maps of the war in Ukraine, since the beginning of the Russian invasion, in February 2022