Champions League: Thriller in the penalty shootout: Real moves into the semi-finals

Champions League
Thriller in the penalty shootout: Real moves into the semi-finals

Toni Kroos (r) and Erling Haaland fought a close duel with Real Madrid and Manchester City. photo

© Mark Cosgrove/News Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa

It’s not a spectacle like the first leg, but Manchester City and Real Madrid are still pushing the limits. In the end, Real moves into the semi-finals of the premier class – and now faces Bayern.

Real Madrid have eliminated defending champions Manchester City in another quarter-final thriller and are in Reached the semi-finals of the Champions League. After a flattering 4-3 win on penalties, the Whites are now challenging FC Bayern Munich in the semi-finals. After regular time and extra time the score was 1:1 (1:0, 1:1).

Rodrygo (12th minute) initially gave Real the lead – but City then restricted the guests with almost permanent possession of the ball in their own half. Despite constant dominance, it was only enough for Kevin De Bruyne to equalize in regular time (76′). In the penalty shootout, Real goalkeeper Andrij Lunin saved two penalty kicks from the English team – before national player Antonio Rüdiger converted the decisive one for Real.

In contrast to the spectacular 3:3 a week ago, there was initially no furious game in Manchester. City controlled the ball as usual, while Real relied on quick transitions. In one of these, the ball landed via Vinicius Junior in the penalty area to Rodrygo, who first shot at goalkeeper Ederson and then used the rebound to take the lead.

City increased the pressure after the break

As a result, the guests gave Guardiola’s team even more control of the ball and control of the game. Apart from a hit on the crossbar by Erling Haaland (19th), City initially did not create any compelling chances to score, but the hosts increased the pressure in the second half. Real were literally constricted in their own half and limited themselves almost exclusively to counterattacks.

This passivity was punished by De Bruyne, who shot the ball under the crossbar into the goal after an unsuccessful attempt to clear the ball by national player Antonio Rüdiger. Afterwards, both teams slowly ran out of strength, which is why it ultimately went to penalties.


source site-2