Controversial New Year’s Eve video
Who is defending the Secretary of Defense? The loud silence after the Lambrecht bang
Defense Minister Christine Lambrecht (SPD) is again under criticism. And again their suitability for the office is being questioned. Dissenting voices have not been raised so far.
It would not be the first time that Olaf Scholz has felt compelled to defend his defense minister. As early as May last year, he dismissed criticism of Christine Lambrecht as excessive. “I’ve been in politics long enough to know the rules of the media,” said the Chancellor. “I’m happy to focus on one or one. But I also know that that will change again.”
Then he introduced himself again behind Lambrecht. And again. The Bundeswehr has a “first-rate” Defense Minister, Scholz finally put it on recordand added: “I can only wonder about some of the criticism”.
But the criticism does not stop. A debate has flared up again about Lambrecht’s suitability as defense minister. Your SPD stands out with its loud silence, both the chancellery and your own ministry are taciturn – while the Union is suggesting that the chancellor appoint a new head of department.
That’s what happened: Lambrecht had recorded a video message in the middle of the Berlin New Year’s Eve fireworks, which she wrote on her private Instagram account published. “A war is raging in the middle of Europe,” says the minister, whose words are repeatedly drowned out by the whistling of rockets and exploding firecrackers. “And that was linked to a lot of special impressions that I was able to gain. Many, many encounters with interesting, great people.”
Inappropriate in terms of content and stylistically unsuccessful, that was the criticism of the clip – which the federal government initially did not want to comment on further. “I don’t see any reason to rate this right now,” said deputy government spokeswoman Christiane Hoffmann on Monday. Arne Collatz, colonel in the General Staff service and deputy spokesman for the Federal Ministry of Defense, did not help the lady of the house either. “The Minister’s words in the video speak for themselves. It is not for me to comment,” he said. “She commented on it on a private channel, chose the words herself and produced them without the help of official resources.”
Union uses Christine Lambrecht’s New Year’s Eve video as a template
The Union, on the other hand, goes all out verbally, using the controversial New Year’s Eve video as a through ball:
- In view of the “unbelievable suffering in Ukraine” and for a woman with the power to command and command, he considers the video “inappropriate,” said CDU member of the Bundestag Roderich Kiesewetter “Daily Mirror”. “It strengthens the distrust and the loss of trust that is unfortunately taking hold in Germany in Europe and internationally.”
- “Every additional minute that the Chancellor holds on to this minister and thus further damages the reputation of our country goes to his account,” wrote the CDU member of the Bundestag Serap Güler Twitter.
“This video speaks for itself. What an embarrassment, what a miscast. The Bundeswehr deserves better!” commented Florian Hahn, the Union’s defense policy spokesman. on twitter.
“The disturbing video from New Year’s Eve shows again that Ms. Lambrecht has no attitude towards the office she holds,” said deputy parliamentary group leader Johann Wadephul (CDU). “Sueddeutsche Zeitung”. “The video reminded the chancellor at the beginning of the year that he had an urgent personnel problem in the Bendlerblock.”
The video was also commented on by the coalition partners, albeit much more cautiously.
“The New Year’s video in question is a matter for the minister and her communications staff,” said FDP defense expert Marie-Agnes Strack-Zimmermann to the “Tagesspiegel”. “I myself find the setting a bit unfortunate. I don’t want to say more about it.” Stephan Bischoff, member of the Bundestag for the Greens, wrote on Twitter apparently in allusion to Lambrecht’s statements: “A war is raging in the middle of Europe. And now cheers you bastards! Good slide!” FDP defense politician Marcus Faber chose clearer words: “Ms. Lambrecht should reflect on her role as Germany’s defense minister during a major war in Europe and would be well advised to reorganize her public relations work accordingly,” he said “Mirror”.
Public pressure on Lambrecht increases. While the media response is repeatedly devastating for the minister, political observers are also irritated.
“First and foremost, political communication requires political intuition. The rest is craftsmanship,” tweeted such as the political and communications consultant Johannes Hillje, who used to work for the Greens. Both are missing in Lambrecht’s video. Political expert Albrecht von Lucke even attested to an increasingly eroding trust in the government of its citizens – questionable actions such as those by Minister Lambrecht would also contribute to this, he said on n-tv.
Lambrecht himself has not yet commented on the criticism. Chancellor Scholz, who, despite the ongoing displeasure with his defense minister, is likely to continue to stand firmly by and behind her, has not commented further. Possibly in the hope that this time the focus will actually shift again.
Sources: “T Online”, “Daily News”, “Southgerman newspaper”, Instagram, Editorial network Germany, “Daily Mirror”, “Mirror”, n-tv