What we know about the “terrorist attack” that left one dead

An attack, described as “ terrorist » by Emmanuel Macron, once again put France into mourning on Saturday evening. A German tourist died in the west of Paris at the hands of an assailant armed with a knife and a hammer and known to French authorities as a radical Islamist with a psychological state described as unstable. Here is what we know about this attack perpetrated less than two months later the bloody one in a high school in Arras and following which the alert level was raised throughout the territory.

Facts

The attack happened shortly after 9 p.m. between the Quai de Grenelle and Bir Hakeïm, in the 15th and 16th arrondissements, a stone’s throw from the Eiffel Tower. The assailant attacked a couple of German tourists. “The husband died from stabbing”, according to the account given by the Minister of the Interior Gerald Darmanin who went there. The wife’s life was saved “thanks to a taxi driver who seemed to have intervened” and whose presence would have made the attacker flee to the other side of the Seine, added the minister.

Four police officers, quickly dispatched to the scene, pursued him on foot. They attempt a first arrest. But the assailant, “with his hands in his overcoat”, threatened them with carrying explosives, according to Gérald Darmanin. He continued his escape, then attacked two other people, before being arrested near a square after two taser shots. The assailant “is not in danger and will therefore be able to answer for his actions before the courts”, underlined the minister.

Who are the victims ?

A couple of German tourists were hit: the man, born in 1999, died from stab wounds. The woman “was not physically attacked” but was “extremely shocked”, said Gérald Darmanin. Two other people were attacked: “one person was injured by a hammer blow to the eye and another was particularly shocked”. The two are a Frenchman, aged around sixty, and a foreign tourist.

Who is the author ?

According to a police source, this is Armand Rajabpour-Miyandoab, a Frenchman born in 1997 in Neuilly-sur-Seine in Hauts-de-Seine. This man with a “very unstable profile, very easily influenced”, according to a security source, had already been arrested in 2016 by the General Directorate of Internal Security (DGSI) for a violent action project in La Défense. He was sentenced to five years in prison and was released after four years of detention. Since 2020, he had lived with his parents in Essonne and would be followed for significant psychiatric disorders, “even neurological disorders”, detailed Gérald Darmanin. He had stopped taking his treatment, said a security source. On Saturday, a protest video was posted on social networks alongside his action. It talks about current events, the government and the murder of innocent Muslims.

According to the Interior Minister’s account, the attacker was “obviously ready to kill other people” on Saturday evening. He allegedly uttered “Allah Akbar” several times and told the police a few moments after his arrest that he “could no longer bear to see Muslims die, both in Afghanistan and in Palestine. » He also reportedly declared that he “resented what was happening in Gaza and that France would be complicit in what Israel “.

Where is the investigation?

The attacker was arrested and then placed in police custody as part of an investigation initially entrusted to the Paris criminal brigade, under the direction of the Paris prosecutor’s office. Then the National Anti-Terrorism Prosecutor’s Office indicated that it would take action, opening an investigation for assassination and attempted assassination in relation to a terrorist enterprise and for criminal terrorist association. The assailant’s custody will therefore continue in this context. Investigators should be able to rely on “the police pedestrian cameras which have been activated”, according to Gérald Darmanin.




source site