The referee blows the whistle twice too early at the Africa Cup of Nations

Angry protests: referee blows the whistle at the Africa Cup twice too early

Mali’s Amadou Haidara (left) in a duel with Tunisian Wahbi Khazri

© Issouf Sanogo / AFP

What was wrong with the referee? The referee had the game between Mali and Tunisia at the Africa Cup to an early end twice and had to leave the pitch under police protection. In addition, the man made numerous controversial decisions.

According to Sepp Herberger and the rules, a soccer game lasts 90 minutes. At least. Referee Janny Sikazwe’s watch is apparently ahead of its time. The referee from Zambia managed to call off the game between Tunisia and Mali (0-1) at the Africa Cup in Cameroon on Wednesday twice too early.

After just 85:06 minutes, Sikazwe had seen enough of the game in Limbe and the whistle was blown. However, the players convinced him that he had made a mistake. After 89:45 minutes it was finally over. Sikawze was not impressed by the angry protests of the Tunisians who had passed away and left the square under the protection of security forces.

The game was supposed to be played to the end, but the Tunisians didn’t want to

The second over-punctual final whistle raises doubts about the speed of the impartial clock, as Mali’s midfielder El Bilal Touré saw the red card in the 87th minute and the game was long interrupted due to video evidence. The dismissal was just as controversial as the two hand penalties of the game. Mali’s Ibrahima Koné (48th minute) used the first to score the winning goal, while the Tunisian Wahbi Khazri (77th) missed the second.

Story told? Far from it. As Mali’s coach Mohamed Magassouba was at the press conference, officials informed him that the remaining minutes would still be played. The Mali and Sikazwe players gathered again on the pitch, but the Tunisians simply did not come. After a short wait, Sikazwe finally whistled. And Magassouba went back to the press conference, exasperated.


source site-2