The police custody of the police officer who fired on the Pont-Neuf extended

Continuation of the hearing. The police custody of the police officer who killed Sunday, by shooting at their car, two men suspected of having forced a check near the Pont-Neuf in Paris, was extended on Tuesday, we learned from the prosecution. The peacekeeper, a member of a night support group within the Compagnie de Sécurisation de la Cité (CSC), has been questioned by the General Inspectorate of the National Police (IGPN) since Monday afternoon for “willful violence resulting in death without the intention of giving it”.

His placement in police custody was decided “in particular because of the seriousness of the consequences of the shooting” and to “verify precisely the conditions of use of his weapon”, the prosecution said on Monday. The four other members of his crew, a woman and three men, were also heard freely “as witnesses” by the IGPN, according to a source familiar with the matter.

A dozen cartridges fired

According to the police intervention report consulted by AFP, a patrol of five police officers headed on Sunday shortly before midnight towards a car parked in the wrong direction, hazard lights on, Quai des Orfèvres on the island of La Quote, to control it. As the police approached the front of the car, it started up and “drove towards one of the officials who moved away to avoid it”, according to this report.

“The only” policeman armed with an assault rifle then opened fire on the vehicle which was heading for the Pont-Neuf where it ended its race after having climbed onto a platform. According to the first elements of the investigation, a dozen cartridges were fired, including “five or six impacts having reached the individuals”.

The two dead “unfavorably known, among other things for narcotics”

The 25-year-old driver, found inert at the wheel and his front passenger, 31, discovered lying on the ground to the right of the car, died on the spot. The two men are “unfavorably known, among other things for narcotics”, according to a second source familiar with the matter. The rear passenger of the vehicle, aged 42, was injured in the arm and hospitalized. He is unknown to the police, according to a police source.

The Paris prosecutor’s office opened two investigations: one for “attempted intentional homicide on a person holding public authority” and the second “for the head of intentional violence resulting in death without intention of giving it”. The investigations must determine the circumstances of the facts and establish whether the police officer acted in self-defence. According to the police account, a taxi driver, who says he witnessed the whole scene, “confirmed the self-defense mentioned by the officials”.

The four other police officers of the patrol were heard Monday by the judicial police.

source site