More comfort when jogging: that’s why running tights are the better choice
Unpleasant pressure points and skin irritations caused by too much friction are not uncommon when jogging. In order to increase comfort, you should pay more attention to your sports pants: With the right running tights, you not only improve mobility, but also the feeling on your skin.
Running tights (“tight” means “tight” when translated) are nothing more than tight-fitting sports pants. But in contrast to ordinary leggings, these have been specially tailored to the movements when running to avoid skin irritation. The materials are breathable so that sweat can be transported away from the body more quickly. In addition, practical details are incorporated into running tights, such as flat quilted seams for less friction, net-shaped mesh inserts for better air circulation or reflective elements for more visibility when jogging in the dark. Whether you decide on short or long, thin or thick sports pants should always depend on the respective weather conditions.
Important properties of running tights
As mentioned at the beginning, running tights have different properties than ordinary leggings. These are made possible by certain materials. What these are and what else you should pay attention to when buying is explained as follows:
Check the material
Running tights must be breathable and quick-drying so that the sweat that you produce while running is transported away from the body. Skin-friendly fabrics such as cotton are particularly comfortable to wear, but absorb and store moisture, which means that the body cools down more quickly (especially on cold days). For this reason, durable materials are better suited for jogging, such as polyester. But also the addition of merino wool is an important point, especially in winter, as it warms the body even better. Elastane, on the other hand, gives the tight-fitting running tights even more freedom of movement.
Find the fit
To avoid unpleasant pressure points and skin irritation or irritation, running tights should always sit comfortably. This is made possible, among other things, by flat quilted seams or a wide and high waistband with integrated elastic – this means that the sports trousers offer even more support when running and do not slip. Provides the necessary amount of stretch, which makes the fabric really stretchy spandex. When buying, make sure that the running tights are made of this material to a small extent. This increases the wearing comfort.
Pay attention to the details
Last but not least, you should also pay attention to the details of sports trousers that are not uninteresting: such as a integrated pocket for the house key or the mobile phone. And also reflective elements play an important role for joggers, who prefer to do their rounds in the evening (or early in the morning) when it is dark outside and you are hardly noticeable in your sportswear.
Running tights for cold and warm days
In addition to the materials, the length of the running tights must not be ignored. The following tips should primarily help you if you are still a beginner or not in (regular) training:
- When it’s dry and warm outside, are short running tights the better choice to allow the skin to breathe better and the sweat to air dry faster.
- three-quarter pants are a sensible purchase, especially in the transition months. They keep your legs nice and warm, but still let some air into the skin.
- Long running tights with reflectors make sense especially on dark autumn days, so that your body does not cool down so quickly and you are better recognized when jogging.
- So-called thermal pants are ideal for cold winter days, as they are lined with fleece on the inside and (ideally) have moisture-wicking properties.
How to properly care for your running tights
Due to the sensitive materials, you should consider the following when cleaning your running tights:
- Stick to those care instructions in the sewn-in label of your sports pants. Washing running tights hotter than recommended can damage the fibres. It is generally recommended to wash the material at a maximum of 30 degrees.
- Refrain from bleach or softener, otherwise the fibers will stick together and the running tights will lose their breathable properties. It is best to only use a mild detergent or a special detergent for sportswear.
- The temperatures in dryer are unsuitable for running tights. Since the materials (especially synthetic fibres) generally dry faster than ordinary jersey or cotton sports pants, you should let the clothes dry on the clothesline.
You might also be interested in:
This article contains so-called affiliate links. Further information are available here.