Israel war: fighting in southern Gaza – power struggle divides Hamas

  1. Home page
  2. politics

In the war in Israel, fighting is raging both in the south of the Gaza Strip and on the Red Sea. The news ticker on the current situation in the Middle East.

  • Fierce battles in Gaza: Another IDF soldier dies in fighting with Hamas
  • Attacks in Syria and Lebanon: Israel attacks Hezbollah positions
  • The information processed here about the war in Israel and the fight against Hamas in the Gaza Strip come from local and international media and news agencies. Much of the information cannot be independently verified.

Update from February 4th, 2:27 p.m.: The Israeli army appears to have carried out an attack on a convoy of vehicles in Rafah. This is reported by the Jerusalem Post, based on information from the Palestinian media. Accordingly, several high-ranking members of Hamas are said to have been on board the vehicles. So far nothing is known about possible victims. Rafah is located at the southern end of the Gaza Strip.

Update from February 4th, 12:26 p.m.: The radical Islamic group Hamas has called for more time to begin new negotiations on a ceasefire in the Israel war. This is reported by Israeli media and refers to statements from Lebanon, where representatives of the terrorist organization are located.

Israeli soldiers on the way to their mission in the Gaza Strip. © Leo Correa/dpa

The resumption of negotiations with Israel is said to be controversial within the Hamas leadership. This is reported by the Wall Street Journal. While the terrorist group’s military wing would reject a multi-week ceasefire proposed by the US in exchange for the release of all hostages from the Gaza Strip, Hamas’ political leadership is prepared to accept such a deal. However, the military wing, whose leadership is still in the Gaza Strip, has better cards in the power struggle, according to the US newspaper.

Another soldier dies in the Israel War

Update from February 4th, 10:41 a.m.: Another Israeli army soldier has died in fighting in the Gaza Strip. This is what the news portal reports Times of Israel. The number of soldiers killed in the Israel War has increased to 225. According to the health authority controlled by the terrorist militia Hamas, 127 people are said to have been killed in the Gaza Strip in the past 24 hours. That’s what she reports Haaretz. The numbers from Gaza cannot be independently verified.

Update from February 4th, 9:07 a.m.: The Israeli army has expanded its offensive in the Gaza Strip. According to a report by the Haaretz There were fierce battles with the radical Islamic Hamas. A command post of the terrorist group was captured and an ammunition depot was discovered, according to an army spokesman.

Update from February 4th, 7 a.m.: The US and Britain have fired on 30 targets in Yemen. The attacks are said to have been directed against positions of the Houthi rebels, who are supported by Iran and have been attacking international merchant ships in the Red Sea for weeks. “Today’s strike specifically targeted facilities linked to the Houthis’ deeply buried weapons caches, missile systems and launchers, air defense systems and radar installations,” the news channel said in a statement CNN had spread.

Shortly after the attacks on targets in Yemen, a spokesman for the Houthi rebels also spoke out. The attacks “will not go unanswered,” wrote Yahya Sarea on social media.

Israel reports attacks in Syria and southern Lebanon

Update from February 3rd, 11:08 p.m.: Israel says it has also attacked more than 50 Hezbollah targets in Syria and over 3,400 in southern Lebanon since the start of the war with the radical Islamic Palestinian organization Hamas. The targets of the pro-Iranian Shiite militia “across Syria” were “attacked from the ground and from the air,” army spokesman Daniel Hagari told journalists on Saturday. More than 3,400 similar attacks were carried out in southern Lebanon.

Since the outbreak of the war between Hamas and Israel, there have been almost daily exchanges of fire on the Lebanese-Israeli border, mainly between the Israeli army and Hezbollah. At least 218 people have been killed in southern Lebanon since then, most of them Hezbollah fighters but also at least 26 civilians, according to a news agency count AFP resulted.

Baerbock warns Israel about offensive in Rafah

Update from February 3rd, 4:40 p.m.: Germany’s Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock has warned Israel against a military offensive in the southernmost part of the Gaza Strip. “To act now in Rafah, in the last and most crowded place, as announced by the Israeli Defense Minister, would simply be unjustifiable,” the Green politician told dem Editorial network Germany. “The majority of the victims are women and children. Let’s just imagine: they are our children.”

The newspaper Times of Israel According to reports, the Israeli army intends to expand its fighting against Hamas. The military will also reach and destroy the Hamas brigade in Rafah, just as it is currently dealing with the Hamas battalions in the area of ​​the southern city of Khan Yunis, the newspaper quoted Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Galant as saying on Thursday evening. Baerbock now said that she was shocked to hear about this announcement. “I and our American partners have been making it clear to the Israeli government for some time that the people of Gaza cannot disappear into thin air.”

Israel attacks targets in Lebanon

Meanwhile, Israel’s military says it has once again bombed targets belonging to the Shiite militia Hezbollah in southern Lebanon. The airstrikes came after artillery shelling of areas in northern Israel, the army said dpa on Saturday with. It was said that the projectiles fired by Hezbollah fell on an uninhabited area.

Dozens of Hamas militants killed: Israel’s army discovers another weapons depot

Update from February 3rd, 9 a.m.: The Israeli army claims to have killed dozens of Hamas militants in clashes in the north and center of Gaza. The army said this in its latest statement on the ground operation in the Gaza Strip. It was also said that several anti-tank missiles were also destroyed.

A Hamas cell that fired an anti-tank missile at Israeli troops was eliminated in the southern Gaza town of Khan Younis. Weapons, rocket launchers and grenades were also seized from a building in the city.

Update from February 3rd, 7 a.m.: Apparently, internal differences in Hamas are preventing the signing of a hostage deal, which is also supported by the USA. This was reported by the US newspaper Wall Street Journal (WSJ) citing U.S. officials. Accordingly, Hamas leaders in Gaza, such as Yahya Sinwar, want to sign the deal, which provides for a 6-week ceasefire and the gradual release of all hostages. However, Hamas leaders in exile in other countries would demand more concessions from Israel and further negotiations for a permanent ceasefire.

War in Israel: Negotiations over hostage deal continue

Update from February 2nd, 9:05 p.m.: There is further movement in the negotiations for a ceasefire in the Israel war. The US sends Secretary of State Anthony Blinken to the region. He is expected to continue diplomatic efforts in Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Qatar and Israel to “reach an agreement that includes the release of the hostages and a humanitarian pause,” according to a statement from the US State Department.

Update from February 2nd, 7:53 p.m: Another Hamas representative has commented on negotiations for a ceasefire in the Israel war. This is reported by the Israeli newspaper Haaretz. They will respond “very soon” to an offer that is supposedly from Israel.

Meanwhile, France is also joining in the efforts for a new ceasefire in the Israel war. Foreign Minister Stephane Sejourne will travel to the Middle East on Sunday. The minister in President Emmanuel Macron’s government is planning visits to Egypt, Jordan, Israel, the Palestinian Territories and Lebanon. The French Foreign Ministry announced this on Friday.

New hopes for a ceasefire in the Israel war

First report from February 2nd: Tel Aviv – The radical Islamic group Hamas has signaled its willingness to release more hostages from the Gaza Strip. A senior representative of the terrorist group said they were working on a multi-stage agreement with Israel. In exchange for the hostages that Hamas fighters kidnapped from Israel in the attack on October 7th, they are demanding a ceasefire lasting several days and a pause in the Israeli offensive in Gaza. Osama Hamdan, one of the leaders of the terrorist group, who is currently said to be in Beirut, said this in an interview with the Lebanese television station LBCI.

According to Hamdan, in exchange for more hostages in the Israel war, Hamas is demanding the release of two terrorists captured in Israel: Marwan Barghouti, who is said to have planned several terrorist attacks during the second Intifada, and Ahmad Saadat, head of the terrorist group “Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine.” Both are sitting according to the Times of Israel currently serving long prison sentences.

Negotiations for a ceasefire in the Israel war are ongoing

According to Hamdan, Hamas, which started the war in Israel with its attack on October 7, rejects short-term ceasefires. “We tried temporary ceasefires and it turned out that the Israelis do not respect these ceasefires but always violate them,” Hamas said.

Israel has also agreed to temporary ceasefires. In return, the country is demanding that Hamas release the remaining hostages from the Gaza Strip. However, Benjamin Netanyahu’s government rejects a complete end to the military operation in the Gaza Strip.

Qatar is currently also involved as a mediator for negotiations on a ceasefire in the Israel war. There is already “an initial positive confirmation from Hamas” about a possible agreement, a spokesman for the Qatari Foreign Ministry said, according to the news agency DPA on Thursday.

Israel reports rocket launch over Red Sea

Meanwhile, fighting in the Israel War continues on multiple fronts. The Israeli army reported firing a rocket over the Red Sea. The missile was intercepted by the Arrow air defense system as it entered Israeli airspace, the military said on Friday. It was initially unclear who was responsible for the shooting. Israeli media suspected the Houthi rebels in Yemen were behind the rocket attack. (dil with agencies)

source site