Author of “NSU 2.0” – threatening letter has to go to prison for almost six years – politics

In the trial for the “NSU 2.0” threatening letter, the defendant was sentenced to five years and ten months in prison by the Frankfurt district court on Thursday.

The Berlin-born defendant Alexander M. sent dozens of threatening letters by email, fax or SMS to lawyers, politicians, journalists and representatives of public life and signed them “NSU 2.0”. The sender “NSU 2.0” alludes to the right-wing extremist terrorist cell National Socialist Underground (NSU).

The Frankfurt regional court found the 54-year-old guilty of public incitement to commit crimes, incitement to hatred, disturbance of the public peace, use of anti-constitutional symbols, threats, an assault on a law enforcement officer and insults. The public prosecutor had demanded seven and a half years in prison for, among other things, insult and attempted coercion, disturbance of the public peace and incitement to hatred.

In a final presentation, the accused denied all allegations. These are not occupied. He accused the public prosecutor of lies and manipulations that were not a basis for a conviction. The investigative group wanted to use their results “to finish him off at any price” and relieve the police. He was only a member of a right-wing chat group on the Darknet, which is why parts of the threatening letters were found on his computer. The threats were never serious, he added: “The NSU 2.0 project was just trolling at a high level.”

The joint plaintiffs – the member of the Bundestag Martina Renner (Die Linke) and the Frankfurt lawyer Seda Başay-Yıldız, who has been threatened with a large number of letters since August 2018 – demanded further clarification before the verdict was announced. At least for the first letter, there were doubts that M. was the perpetrator. The defense also referred to a police officer from the 1st police station in Frankfurt, whose role in the proceedings had not been sufficiently clarified.

For example, confidential data from Başay-Yıldız, whose private address was posted on the Internet with a call to murder, was retrieved from a Frankfurt police station, even that of her two-year-old daughter – an hour and a half later the first threatening fax came. The prosecution accused Alexander M. of having obtained the data through sophisticated calls to police stations, which he denied. In the process, he blamed police officers for the threatening letters.

It all started with a fax: a chronology of events

source site