At least one dead and 15 injured in two bomb attacks in Jerusalem

Despite the clashes with Gaza and the regular clashes on the esplanade of the Mosques, this modus operandi had not been used since 2016 in Jerusalem. This Wednesday morning, two bomb attacks in bus stops left at least one dead and fifteen injured in the Holy City. “Different explosive charges were placed in the two places. We suspect it was a combined attack,” Israel Police said in a statement. The bombs were activated remotely, according to a security source.

A first explosion at a bus stop outside Jerusalem injured 12, four of them seriously, and a second, once the police and emergency services were on the scene, demolished a bus and injured three at another nearby station , according to rescue workers. Israeli police called the two blasts “attacks” and later claimed that one person had died of their injuries.

“Terrorism does not wait”

“We heard a loud explosion. We immediately rushed to the scene in large numbers (…) and saw two seriously injured people, a 16-year-old boy at a bus stop and a 45-year-old man on a sidewalk nearby,” said Moshe Tobolsky, a rescuer.

Outgoing Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid is due to hold an emergency meeting with the heads of the security services at midday at the army headquarters in Tel Aviv and will brief his designated successor Benjamin Netanyahu, winner of the November 1 legislative elections. , the security situation. “We must form the government as soon as possible because terrorism does not wait,” said Wednesday Itamar Ben Gvir, a tenor of the far right who is eyeing the Ministry of Public Security, calling on the authorities to carry out “targeted killings” of suspected terrorists.

Without claiming responsibility for the attacks in Jerusalem, the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas, in power in the Gaza Strip, “welcomed” them, considering them in a statement as “the price of crimes and aggressions” by Israel “against our people”. . Overnight, a Palestinian was killed by Israeli forces during clashes in Nablus, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry.

source site